I think that there are a lot of things that nobody tells you about being an adult that you don't learn in college. I tried googling "how to be an adult" and there really wasn't much information. It's a topic that's been on my mind for a while now, so I sat down with some friends and came up with a list of how to be an adult. This is the list of things you do when you're an adult:
- Tip well and even when it’s not expected (and no less than $2)
- Be able to choose a wine at dinner (actually, if this is true most people aren’t adults)
- Be resourceful enough to navigate a city by yourself and not freak out
- Always pay for yourself. Have enough in your bank account every time.
- Pay on time.
- Have something edible or drinkable in your abode in case guests come over
- Know how to take care of your vehicle (boat, car, bike?)
- change your tires.
- change your oil.
- register your vehicle.
- Know your rights and be civically active (vote!)
- Give back to the community somehow
- Go to the doctor's for a checkup at least once a year.
- Little things like:
- change your sheets once every two weeks
- change your razor heads
- brush your teeth
- change your underpants
- wear underpants
- separate the lights and the darks when you do laundry
This list is far from comprehensive, so I'd appreciate your input. In fact, why not have an essay contest? I'll include the details in an upcoming post so stay tuned!
And for some more information on how to be an adult, here are some great links: